Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Have Questions about VisionFund?
Read through our frequently asked questions below or contact us to find out more.
What is VisionFund?
VisionFund International is a Christian owner-operated mission-driven microfinance network working with parents in hard to reach, impoverished locations so they can create secure futures for their children.
What are the components of microfinance? How does it work?
Microfinance consists of loans, savings and insurance.
- Microloans involve lending small sums of money to people wanting to start a sustainable business for their livelihood. Microloans particularly help those who do not have a measurable credit history, enough assets to secure a bank loan or access to mainstream financial providers. When a microloan is repaid, the funds are recycled to other borrowers.
- Savings programmes enable those without a reliable and regular income to save funds to be used in the event of disaster or misfortune. Micro-savings accounts help ensure safety and security of funds and pay a small bonus on the money saved.
- Insurance products enable clients to guard against the failure of their business or crop from uncontrollable risks, supporting them to recover their livelihoods faster. Health insurance helps provide funds and cover outstanding loans when a member of the family is sick or dies.
When loans are repaid, the loan capital is recycled to provide another loan to the next microfinance client. The interest paid is used to fund operating costs of our microfinance institutions so that they become sustainable.
Is VisionFund a Christian organisation?
VisionFund is a private Christian organisation that holds faith in Jesus Christ as central to our identity, motivation and calling to serve communities in need and in crisis.
We are part of World Vision, a signatory to the International Red Cross Code of Conduct, which includes the imperative that “aid is given regardless of the race, creed, or nationality of the recipients and without adverse distinction of any kind. Aid priorities are calculated on the basis of need alone.” While the majority of our staff are Christian, our policy states that we will not select partners (either individuals or agencies) or clients on this basis, nor insist on the delivery of Christian messaging, nor use microfinance to induce a person to change religion. We are inspired by Christian values and seek for our work to be our testimony to the example set by Jesus Christ.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is VisionFund related to World Vision?
VisionFund is World Vision’s financial services and livelihoods provider. As an organisation, VisionFund shares World Vision’s core values and vision: Our vision for every child, life in all its fullness, Our prayer for every heart, the will to make it so.
World Vision is a global Christian relief, development, and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families, and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Our partnership with World Vision makes us truly unique. World Vision works with impoverished communities to help them access the nutritious food, water, education and basic healthcare. VisionFund builds on the work of World Vision by working alongside the community to deliver appropriate financial solutions and partnerships to create income and jobs.
How do I apply for a job at VisionFund?
To learn more about working at VisionFund, visit visionfund.org/careers.
To explore open positions, visit careers.wvi.org and type VisionFund in keyword search.
To be considered for future vacancies, you may also send in your CV to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that you will only be contacted if a suitable vacancy is available.
How can I apply for a loan with VisionFund?
VisionFund operates in 28 countries across the globe. For all inquiries regarding loans and other services we provide, please contact our local office directly during office hours. Please click here to find country and contact information.
How do I learn more about World Vision?
Visit World Vision International's website at wvi.org.
Why does VisionFund charge interest on their loans?
Microfinance clients pay interest on loans each month as a part of a strategy to create a mind shift that encourages independence and self-development. This solid business model encourages responsibility, accountability and ownership. People take control of their businesses and their lives. Microfinance programmes become self-sustaining institutions as their capital funds grow, enabling loans to reach more clients. We charge a reasonable interest rate to:
- Help people become financially independent
- Avoid destabilising the local economy and distorting the development of the in-country microfinance industry
- Ensure that as people move out of poverty and start to need the support of larger financial organisations, they understand and are familiar with the need for paying interest charges
- Cover the cost of running a microfinance programme and help it become operationally sustainable
How can I partner with VisionFund?
We are keen to work with corporations, foundations and individuals who want to support our distinct approach to tackling poverty. If you share our aims, please email us at: WeAre@visionfund.org
How does VisionFund seek to impact child well-being?
Our mission is to make lasting positive improvements to the lives of children and their families. We specifically target women living in poverty with dependent children, who live primarily in rural areas. We measure the impact our work has on the lives of children through a set of well-defined targets.
How do I contact VisionFund to partner/participate in an event?
If you are an event organizer and would like VisionFund to consider attending/presenting at your event, please email: WeAre@visionfund.org