Office: Legal Officer
Reports to: Head of Legal/Company Secretary
Purpose of the position:
- Advising the relevant departments on the perfection of securities and looking out for intervening eventualities that may adversely affect the MFI’s interests.
- Facilitating review and audit of securities in the MFI’s possession and advise on the remedial process.
- Ensuring proper supervision and management of the institution’s loan recovery activities in such a way that loss is minimized, controlled or avoided and thus enhancing sustainability and growth of the company.
- Filing and defending the MFI’s small claims in court, liaising with external counsel on litigation matters instituted by or against the MFI, and preparing bank witnesses for testimony or appearance in court.
- Undertaking research on current legal developments (e.g. Laws, Regulations, Judicial decisions etc) and advising the relevant departments/committees within the MFI.
- Providing support in contract negotiations and management including review of all contractual agreements for the MFI to ensure that the MFI’s interests are safeguarded, and providing recourse options for non-performing contractors.
- Ensuring that the MFI operates in compliance to all applicable policies and legal regime.
- Deputize the Company Secretary in coordination of board activities and all management meetings.
Knowledge and skills required:
- LLB (Bachelor of Laws Degree)
- Dip. Legal practice
- Valid Practicing certificate
- Understanding of litigation procedures
- Financial analysis skills.
- Portfolio management skills.
Personal Attributes/Behavioral Competencies
- Good stakeholder management especially with court processes
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Team work oriented and willingness to guide and train others
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity
- Customer oriented
- Ability to work long hours without supervision.
How to apply: All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by delivering hand copies to our office Plot 256 Bombo road Makerere Kavule or by email: Applicants should submit an application letter, a CV along with the contacts of three professional referees and copies of academic documents. Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5:00pm on June 4, 2021.